Watercolor Still Life with Tina Hotchkiss
Working with Masking Fluid and Wet on Wet Techniques
November 14, 2021
10am - 4pm
(with lunch break)
Instructor: Tina Hotchkiss
This workshop is not only about creating a painting; but, learning how to partner with watercolor. Understanding the different wetness levels of the paper and consistency of paint. No matter where you are in your watercolor journey, this workshop is for you. Tina will demo how she uses masking fluid to create unique active marks to start, adding a wet-on-wet translucent watercolor wash, continue with from making glazes, and finish with details of color pencils and black gesso. These are the techniques Tina used in creating her award-winning painting “The End is Near” featured in Huron River Art Collective’s Summer Show.
Students will choose the workshop format that fits them; on Zoom, or In-person. In-person participants must be fully vaccinated and wear masks in the studio. Tina’s 8 seat home studio is located in Ypsilanti. The first 8 students that choose the in-person format will occupy these seats. A Zoom link and studio address will be sent out with registration confirmation.
Workshop cost: $85 for Collective Members, $100 for non-members.
Workshop supplies you will need:
• Watercolor Paint (professional grade)
• Watercolor Paper (140 lb. or higher, Tina uses Arches)
• Watercolor Brushes
• Paint palette or white plate
• Container of Water
• Trigger spray bottle of water
• Mister spray bottle of water
• Paint Rag (old wash cloth or towel)
• Masking Tape
• Masking fluid (Fineline Precision Applicator 18-gauge tip)
• Board (such as a back of a drawing tablet or foam core)
• Black Gesso
• Colored Pencils (Prismacolor)